Is a Celica a good first car? - Page 3 - Toyota Celica Forum
View Poll Results: Is a celica a good first car?
Yes 20 90.91%
No 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 03:16 PM
Guru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally posted by tripb101@Aug 23 2005, 09:56 AM
and any stick is faster than auto.
Not true. The turbo supras are faster in automatic. Almost all the expensive cars are faster in automatic but they function a little different. The ferraris for example are faster in automatic since a computer can shift way faster than a human. It wont be too long until every automatic is faster. But in the celicas case with such low torque, the auto sucks lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 03:16 PM
Enthusiast

silent what year celica were you planning on getting if its your first car i wouldnt get a brand spankin new one. i would get somthing a little older that you can learn on work on and come to appreciate then once you have enough experiance get somthing thats nicer.

trip sorry but ive got to disagree not all sticks are going to be faster than autos. your probably talking about two exact cars from the factory one stick one auto but if you've never driven stick before your prity much S.O.L. and your gonna be faster with the auto. but then again if your an experianced driver you'll be faster in the stick so i can see where your comming from. the point im tryin to make is that a huge part of drving and racing is the skill of the driver.
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 03:45 PM
Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to iluvmyceli

slvceli-I think he's talking about the stick celicas are faster than the auto celicas.... true, once you get a car with some serious HP, autos are better because no one shifts better than an auto car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 04:08 PM
Old Timer

If you're lucky enough to find a car that has the same amount of gears both auto and manual, you're okay... but with the GT-S celicas you have either 4 or 6 gears and that's where you lose the power.

Silent: Well thanks for your input...
I am only half Turkish and all American, I was born and raised in the US and live in NY when I am able to. My loyalties lie with the US 100%. Turkey is an ALLY of the US, not an enemy and can't be put in the same category as Iran, Iraq and other middle eastern countries. **** they have sent many soldiers over to help fight against Iraq much to the dismay of citizens who felt it was wrong to fight a neighboring country.
As far as the slaughtering performed by Turkey against Armenia, I am deeply sorry about it, but considering how long ago that happened I didn't have anything to do with it and even if I had been alive at the time I would not have condoned it just as I do not condone any killings or bombings of any kind. I don't think I should be blamed for what my ancestors may have done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 GT-S Sport Shift - mods in profile

Meryem's (((HUGGY))) copyrighted by Toyotacelicas.com.

|
|
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

The only reason that the US and Turkey are allies is because Turkey controls the Black Sea.

Anyway, im going to get an 05 and if not then an 04.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 07:45 PM
Old Timer

So? They're still allies...

2001 GT-S Sport Shift - mods in profile

Meryem's (((HUGGY))) copyrighted by Toyotacelicas.com.

|
|
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 10:39 PM
Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to Acilec Send a message via MSN to Acilec

Autos are faster when your talking race car type performance, which most of our Celicas wont reach. So yes an auto is measurably slower but some of you guys really have a dissy attitude towards them too, you should reconsider that type of stereotypical thinking, when alot you probably havent even seen a stick 7th race and auto 7th or at the least seen up close and personal the difference.

I dont know the stats of those who have raced, but I can tell you that my reaction time was faster in my AUTO against other people in their STICK at the track, Im not bragging either, Im just saying I can still beat a stick out of the gate, its all about practice and experience. You guys are taking the noticable difference way out of context, in a normal driving day, like nearly all of us have (since we all know street racing = jail time) you wont know the difference! Plus, like I mentioned, without considerable practice, your not going to beat any autos out of the gate, I dont care if you have a stick or not, because in a TRUE racing scene nearly half the people that attempt a run have to let it out or they miss a gear when in a manual, auto cars never miss. Please note also, Im not suggesting that nobody here is a skilled driver, but Im hearing alot of stereotypical statements, when Id be suprised if those who say them have even raced before the right way or in fact experienced the difference first hand...

Im not trying to defend autos or sticks with my statements either, I have both, I simply dont appretiate the casually thrown around cliche attitude like everyone here can power shift and double clutch like experienced racers. I just want everyone to consider the differences and weigh them appropriately instead of having an attitude that is like "Autos suck" etc

They both have advantages and disadvantages, and the point is, unless your at the track, what does it matter?

Looks fast? Yes it does friends, thats the point of a bodykit. Thus, I never have to speed! I do it for recreation.
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 10:55 PM
Old Timer

double clutching? who the **** double clutches a 6 speed celica?

post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 10:57 PM
Old Timer

if youre talking 7th gen gt-s' the manny is quite a bit faster than the auto. autos tend to cost torque (somethign the 2zzge doesnt have alot of to spare) if youre talking turbo cars autos can sometimes make up their power loss because you never have to vent your boost, as you do when you lift yoru foot off the gas on the manny to shift. if youre dealing with big torque (like a v-8) then yeah you can probably spare the power and the auto will do you just fine. but as long as your talking 7th gens, the manuals faster than the auto.

as for double clutching and power shifitng. power shifting doesnt usually mean faster shifts, if the driver is experienced, but it can mean blown motors. and double clutching? that hasnt been useful since the 70s, synchros meant the end of double clutching. you need to stop watching so much fast and the furious.
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 11:03 PM
Old Timer

so I guess its a good thing he doesn't drive a stick...? I'd like to see him double clutching down the dragway nowa days.....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page