User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default 03 Celica GT does not rev above 3000 rpm

Hi Everyone,

I have got an 03 Celica GT and it does not rev above 3000 rpm when warm.

In morning when car is cold it rev up to 5000 rpm but gradually after 5 minutes of driving it comes down to 3000 rpm.

I have recently took it to a shop and they changed the Cat Converter but it did not fix the problem, cleaned the MAF sensor. I took it to a toyota dealership yesterday but they were not able to find a issue and were asking 400-500 dollar to diagnose it further.

I would appreciate any help from community who faced similar issues and were able to Fix it.

Thanks in Advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

What kind of sound does it make when it won't rev anymore? Does it accelerate to that point normally?

2000 GTS 6-speed. Performance Mods: Apexi Power FC, BC Racing DR coilovers, Injen CAI, Catback exhaust, EBC 'USR' rotors, Hawk 'Street/Race' pads, Stoptech brake/clutch lines, Castrol SRF brake fluid, Exedy stage 2 clutch, Mishimoto radiator, Moroso oil pan, 11# flywheel, Braille 11.5# car battery, Energy urethane suspension/motor bushings, BFGoodrich G-force tires.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

It runs absolutely normal below rev limit. the whole car start to shake and feels like there is not power going to engine and its misfiring.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

This reminds me of coilpack issues. They will cause misfires at specific RPM's and will change where they misfire in the RPM range dependent upon whether the car is warm or cold. Usually when warm, misfiring gets worse. I'd suggest inspecting your coilpacks and perhaps your spark plugs. You may not see an issue though, but they could still be bad. You may have to buy a new OEM set from a place that accepts returns and try installing them to see if it solves the problem, and if it doesn't, return them and look for the next area to try replacing parts on. Do not get anything but OEM Toyota or Denso coilpacks. All aftermarket brands for the Celica are known to have issues.

I'd also suggest buying an affordable OBD2 reader, hooking it up to your car, and going for a drive with it connected. It may very well throw a code that tells you exactly what is wrong. You can get one for around $60 on Amazon.

2000 GTS 6-speed. Performance Mods: Apexi Power FC, BC Racing DR coilovers, Injen CAI, Catback exhaust, EBC 'USR' rotors, Hawk 'Street/Race' pads, Stoptech brake/clutch lines, Castrol SRF brake fluid, Exedy stage 2 clutch, Mishimoto radiator, Moroso oil pan, 11# flywheel, Braille 11.5# car battery, Energy urethane suspension/motor bushings, BFGoodrich G-force tires.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the suggestion.

I bought an OB2 connector and tested the car, the code which came up was P0354 while other misfire codes were in Pending. I switched the coil in cylinder 4 with other cylinder's but still it was P0354. Next i will try the spark plug but i wonder how spark plug can work fine when engine is cold but not when hot.

Also, on the side i opened up and checked my fuel injectors resistance and changed O-rings too.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page