LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Motor oil type & quantity

Hey everyone,

I have some questions about what motor oil to use and how much.

First of, what kind. The various books I have recommend 5W30 and 10W30.
The coldest it usually gets around here is 20F (-7C) so I would say, for winters it is best to use 5W30, and in the summer the 10W30. But it's the 2nd number that bears my questions. What would be the difference between 5W30 & 5W40? I know that it will operate as a 30 (or 40) single grade oil when at running temperature, but how will that influence my car?
I was looking at some motor oil websites (Mobil 1, Castrol), and some brands even suggested 15W40 oil.

On a sidenote, the mileage on my car is 130K miles, is that enough for a high mileage oil?
And are there oil brands that are better than others? Or are they all the same basicly?

Secondly, how much oil do I need to have in my car when I want to drain & refill (and change oil filter)?
One website says 4.1 quarts (I think they are US quarts).
But my maintenance guide (in German so hard to understand since I'm Belgian) says only 1.2 liters (1.3 quarts). That seems way too low, but now I'm questioning how much it actually is? (7afe engine)

Thanks for your time & answers,
Icecube55

PS: if a book says "gallons" or "quarts", without stating if it is US or imperial, what is it most likely to be? Would help my Belgian ass alot :-D

Those who don't shoot, will always miss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 10:16 AM
Obsessed

The easiest way to determine what oil your car needs is to look at the owners manual in your glove box (if available) or sometimes it is printed on the oil filler cap on your motor. However, I know from experience that the 7A-FE 1.8L Celica engine calls for 5W-30 oil. I would not use anything but this oil in the car. To answer your question about 5W-30 vs 5W-40, it has to do with how thick the oil is at running temperature, meaning the oil will be thicker with the 40 than it would be with the 30. Running thicker oil than recommended is NOT a good idea for a healthy motor. Mechanics will sometimes recommend thicker oil for engines that are burning or leaking oil as the thicker oil CAN slow the leak/burn of the oil in the motor. As a side note, I would use conventional motor oil rather than synthetic.

At 130,000 Miles it is definitely time for high mileage oil. 75,000 miles or greater calls for high mileage. Any of the big name brand oils should be fine. I'm really not sure what all is available to you in your area but Valvoline, Pennzoil and Castrol are all oil's I have used with no issues.

For an oil change with filter for your car it is 3.9 US quarts or 3.7 Liters (whichever unit of measure works better for you). Those numbers are quoted from the Factory Service Manual. The 4.1 quarts you read about is for the larger 2.2L motor in the GT Celica.

PS: Thats a hard question to answer given I'm in the US. For instance, the owners manual in the glove box lists all the quantities (US quarts, Imp Quarts, L, etc) but Haynes shop manual implies US quarts for it's oil change section. So it's really hard to say.

I take life like a duck, calm and cool on the surface, paddling like heck underneath
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for all the info, once again
I'm gonna go with the 5W30 then, all the time. My owners manual recommended 5W30, 10W30, 15W40 & 20W50 (but once again, it's that German one that also said the oil capacity was 1.2 liters, so I don't trust it).
(And yeah, I mixed up maintenance guide & owners manual again)

Isn't the oil type also dependent on where you live? Like, if you live in Alaska, you need oil with lower viscosity (5W30) in comparison to if I live in Florida or some other hot place, where you might need higher vicosity (maybe 15W40)? Or am I completely wrong here?

Also, since you say that "high mileage oil" is good for my car, there's the problem that it only comes in 15W40 & 20W50 here. Should I go for the 5W30 like you recommend? Or the high mileage one?

Thanks!
Icecube55

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 10:46 AM
Obsessed

You are correct about climates affecting the oil you use as extreme cold or hot climates can affect how the oil runs in your vehicle. However, 5w-30 is a good oil for most climates.

If you cannot get the correct high mileage oil, I would just get the regular 5w-30.

I take life like a duck, calm and cool on the surface, paddling like heck underneath
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 03:06 PM
Old Timer

Use the ones ending in thirty, that is what will work.

The ones ending in forty are for turbo engines that use the oil to cool the turbocharger, so they need to be able to thin slightly and still be above what normal oil is in terms of viscosity.
No need for that since most 5w40's are more expensive due to the extras they put in to suit the turbocharger needs.

Nowhere I can think of that is creditable will recommend 15w40 in a gasoline engine made after the 80's. Last Celica I ever saw that called for 15w40 was a 22RE in an 85 Celica GT/GTS and that is only used after 100k or in places that never have a cool season, like an equatorial country or the desert.

I swear by Pennzoil Platinum for high stress applications. Bob the oil guy did studies that showed that the Platinum was greater than or at least equal to any high end synthetic that is available on the market. If you can't get that stuff, Castrol and Mobil are pretty much tied with Pennzoil Platinum.

There's no better feeling than seeing something you made work

1998 Honda Civic EX (D16Y8) "The Daily Beater"
1985 Toyota Celica GT (7MGTE) "The Old Guy" SOLD
1991 Nissan 240SX (S13 Coupe) "The Money Pit" Sold to fund other projects
1994 Honda Civic EX (D16Z6) Soon to be "Turbo AutoCross Missile"

Last edited by Snowfork; 08-19-2013 at 03:13 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the answer ;-)

We don't have Pennzoil in Belgium, not even big online (Benelux) shops have it.
Most sold here is Castrol & Shell. I'm gonna go with Castrol Magnatec 5W30. It's a full synthetic, because regular oils don't sell much in Belgium. (**** little country!)

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 01:40 AM
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecube55 View Post
Thanks for the answer ;-)

We don't have Pennzoil in Belgium, not even big online (Benelux) shops have it.
Most sold here is Castrol & Shell. I'm gonna go with Castrol Magnatec 5W30. It's a full synthetic, because regular oils don't sell much in Belgium. (**** little country!)
Just stick with a Castrol 5w30 however long it goes until the engine begins to burn oil. Then change to using a 10w40, but don't change over until it is burning oil noticeably.

There's no better feeling than seeing something you made work

1998 Honda Civic EX (D16Y8) "The Daily Beater"
1985 Toyota Celica GT (7MGTE) "The Old Guy" SOLD
1991 Nissan 240SX (S13 Coupe) "The Money Pit" Sold to fund other projects
1994 Honda Civic EX (D16Z6) Soon to be "Turbo AutoCross Missile"

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 11:08 PM
Guru

Castrol GTX High Mileage 10w 40. Works great.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page