95 Celica GT Convertible Quarter window problems - Toyota Celica Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)

I've recently had the opportunity to by the first dream car, a 1995 Celica GT Convertible, red with black interior and top. I made a bit of a financial leap of fate at the time with consideration to my hospital bill and school fees to pay but for the condition the car was well worth the $3,000 I paid for her.

She came with a few minor issues to work with, a spent clutch, broken dashboard bulb, and a slight crack to the right side mirror hold, but nothing I couldn't fix at the time. Now however I've noticed the right side quarter window is faulty to the point where I cannot raise it up once I have lowered it.

The problem isn't electrical, the fuse is fine, and upon testing with a voltmeter power is sent to the window motor at both flips of the switch. My guess is that the motor is giving out however anyone should know getting to the motor itself is a massive pain in the ass. The window last gave out on me on a day trip two days ago and after a short drive today magically decided to return to its raised position with a little persuasion.

I want to know if any other Celica buyers of this model have had similar problems and wish to know what direction I should go with getting it fixed. I am a student and work full time to maintain that so large maintenance are no friend to me and I would rather have small work done on my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 03:46 AM

QUOTE (Mr. Aleksandr @ Aug 28 2010, 03:00 PM)
Quote:
I've recently had the opportunity to by the first dream car, a 1995 Celica GT Convertible, red with black interior and top. I made a bit of a financial leap of fate at the time with consideration to my hospital bill and school fees to pay but for the condition the car was well worth the $3,000 I paid for her.

She came with a few minor issues to work with, a spent clutch, broken dashboard bulb, and a slight crack to the right side mirror hold, but nothing I couldn't fix at the time. Now however I've noticed the right side quarter window is faulty to the point where I cannot raise it up once I have lowered it.

The problem isn't electrical, the fuse is fine, and upon testing with a voltmeter power is sent to the window motor at both flips of the switch. My guess is that the motor is giving out however anyone should know getting to the motor itself is a massive pain in the ass. The window last gave out on me on a day trip two days ago and after a short drive today magically decided to return to its raised position with a little persuasion.

I want to know if any other Celica buyers of this model have had similar problems and wish to know what direction I should go with getting it fixed. I am a student and work full time to maintain that so large maintenance are no friend to me and I would rather have small work done on my own.[/B]
im having the same problems, i just quit rolling it down, i do want to get it fixed, i fear its going to be expensive taking it to a dealer.. let me know if you find out anything if you dont get any answeres here.. i to have a 95 red , black leather int. conv. love it had her 5 months now
#3 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 07:10 AM
Guru

I have a 5th Gen convertible, but I've heard other 6th Gen convertible owners having a problem with a plastic roller on the regulator assembly that is highly prone to cracking on 6th Gens and causes the symptoms on a lift like yours. I also heard this roller can be had from a Toyota dealer for little money, but the issue is the need to take the entire glass & regulator assembly (including motor) out of the car to replace this plastic roller, so it is not easy by any means to do so. I haven't heard this issue with 5th Gens, so there must be a design difference between the two generations when it comes ot rear quarter glass mechanisms.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 11:30 PM

QUOTE (93celicaconv @ Sep 10 2010, 06:10 AM)
Quote:
I have a 5th Gen convertible, but I've heard other 6th Gen convertible owners having a problem with a plastic roller on the regulator assembly that is highly prone to cracking on 6th Gens and causes the symptoms on a lift like yours. I also heard this roller can be had from a Toyota dealer for little money, but the issue is the need to take the entire glass & regulator assembly (including motor) out of the car to replace this plastic roller, so it is not easy by any means to do so. I haven't heard this issue with 5th Gens, so there must be a design difference between the two generations when it comes ot rear quarter glass mechanisms.[/B]
If power is going to the window motor, but it isn't moving the window, seems to me the likely culprit is the motor. I have had trouble with both rear window motors and top motors. They are very expensive $5-600 at Toyota dealer and tough to find used. I had to buy one window motor and got another used. Good luck. Top motors are just as bad.
bernrds
#5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 05:00 PM

Don't know if this is too late. But the problem is probably in your the switch. I had the same problem and took it in to a little shooty glass place in LA and the dude there took the switches apart (which are right infront of the gear shift) and what he did was clean the connection. What was happening is with the electrical contact some black smout will built up and would not allow the current to go through. So for your problem the black soot is oribably built up on the terminal that give that comand to go up. Once I saw him do it i do it all the time when I have that problem and it works like a charm.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 05:00 PM

I have the same 95 celica convertibale.
#7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 05:45 PM

I too am having the same problem (95 Conv GT). Hecdawg55 I was wondering were you took your car? I live in LA as well.
#8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 02:11 PM

Default Same issue with right quarter window on 1991 GT

I managed to guide it up into position while my wife pushed the switch. Thanks for the tip about ceaning the switch. I will try that and let you know if that helped.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabs View Post
I too am having the same problem (95 Conv GT). Hecdawg55 I was wondering were you took your car? I live in LA as well.
Look up caines arcade it's right next to it in Boyle heights. It not the San Luis auto glass. They didn't want to touch my convertible. So I went up the street (which the place tat didn't want to touch my car recommended) dude charged me like 20 bucks to do it. I was ready to pay 100.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Guru

Garage

I have a 93 convertible and both rear windows are VERYYY slow. they go down slow, but you have to help them go back up. i noticed that one of the rollers is broken, but it doesnt turn anyways when you roll it up.
i will be dismantling it soon and i have the toyota convertiblke supplement to help. i will keep yu up to date on the cause, but expect about 1 month before i do it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page