90gt won't start. Turns over....????? - Toyota Celica Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question 90gt won't start. Turns over....?????

I just got a 1990 gt with the 2.2l. It will not start. It turns over fine, but won't do the last pull. So far I have:
Repalced plugs and wires
Replaced rotor
Fuel pump and sending unit
Fuel filter

I have spark, I have fuel, and I have compression. What is going on??????? Please any help would be greatly apreciated!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to garrisonboobs

might need a new distributor or cap. My friend is going through the same things. or might need to be retimed. we did that and got to the point where your at now.

Garry 1992 Toyota Celica ST

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

How can you time it without it running? Im replacing the ecu today, so I'll let ya know how that goes....

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 01:02 PM

I had this problem on my subaru. it had spark but it was weak spark. the ignition module had gone out and needed replaced.

I wish I could be more helpful but I just picked up my celica yesterday. so I am new to the specifics. make sure the spark is strong. I sm not sure it the disty on these is gear driven but if it is and you removed it you may be off a tooth.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Hmmm ecu changed, no change. Still won't start.
I don’t think there's teeth, just slid smoothly.
Where is the ignition module? Is there a way to bypass it to test?

Thanks!
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Enthusiast

hi, i own a 90 gt 2.2 and i had kinda same issue, u very might well have a weak spark. but most likely its your coil. which would be good cause thats alot cheaper lol. anyway i have a chiltons manual so ill give you the proper ohm's or (resistance) for your coil. the primary resistance for a 90 gt with a 5sfe (thats your 2.2 engine code) is ranged from 0.41-.5 ohm and the secondary resistance is 10.2-13.8k ohms. testing primary need a meter and put ohm setting on x10 ohms, on the secondary put setting to read on x1000 ohms If your coil is not in them ranges you need a new coil. the weak spark wont let the motor fire. trust me on this lol i spent a good portion of 3 days trouble shooting my fuel and ignition cause my coil just up and decided to crap out just after i rebuilt the whole motor, try that lemme know. almost forgot- to test ohms on your coil unhook the coil wire from the coil and unplug the wire plug from it. primary resistance is putting the leads on the neg(-) side of the coil and the other lead on the the pos(+) and seeing what the reading is. the secondary is one lead on the pos(+) and the other on the point that makes connection with the coil wire plugs in.

Last edited by 2fast2furious; 04-03-2011 at 05:44 PM. Reason: forgot to add how to test ohm's
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I lent out my ohmmeter, but I'll have it tomorrow. Thanks for the range! Which ingiter coil did you change? When I do a parts search, two pop up. On is a black plastic part that connects to the cap, the other is the metal box thingy, which is wired to the plastic part and then wired to the ecu... the check engine code was for the ignition circuit and/or coil.

I will update tomorrow, once I have checked the coil.

Thanks!
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Enthusiast

ok,
your coil is located on the firewall drivers side, just to the left of where you put brake fluid in. on your cap you will see 5 wires comming off from it, 4 are for your spark plugs the other is for the coil. the coil wire on your cap is in the middle, follow the wire to where it connects to your coil itself. thats the part you need to test the ohms on. and if you call a parts store just tell them you need a ignition coil for a 1990 celica 2.2 "5sfe". they have a few options both are same just one costs more lol, just buy the cheaper one if your coil tests out to be bad or weak. i priced them out and they were $45.00- $70.00
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Enthusiast

there is a black box looking thing on the firewall near your coil called an "Igniter" but thats for small adjustments to the spark/timing vrs driving conditions on your ECT (electronic controlled timing). I seriouslly doubt that part is bad. good luck ^^
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Enthusiast

if u have spark n fuel its out of timing or timing belt slipped when u try n start it does it sound like its turning fast?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page