sunroof motor how-to - Toyota Celica Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)

~1990 celica gt, 5sfe.~
so i got my celica and the sunroof doesnt work which for me at least is very annoying, i wasnt sure how to go about replacing the motor and couldnt find much info on these boards. So i did what others may do and went to the junkyard and took apart others so i could figure it out without breaking up my interior. so if anyone wants to know without dissasembling junkyard cars here goes...

** i am not responsible for any damage done to yourself or your vehicle. Do this at your own risk and dont get hurt**
- disconnect negative of battery to avoid shocks and shorts, although it sounds like fun.

-first thing is to clear out anything attached to the front end of the headliner, the visors, the mirror, and the handle for the passenger side...
visor (three screws)

mirror (two screws) Use the smallest flathead you can find to pop the cover off, the handle on the passenger side is also secured with two screws under covers.

-the liner around the sunroof also needs to be removed, it is one piece and pulls of with surprisingly easy effort.

-next up is the door trim(whatever its called) it pulls off but be careful not to break the clips. the part leading into the dash comes off with some gentle wiggling.

now to get to the motor.
-there's one screw holding the sunroof control cover, take it out, then one more of the same type under that holding the panel in the roof. After that's out the panel will drop and the wiring harness can be disconnected and the panel moved out of the way.

cover screw

panel screw

harness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

next thing is to get to the three screws which mount the motor. i used a ratchet, 10mm socket, and 3in extension on the back two and no extension on the front passenger screw.
i used the socket to break them loose then a phillips to get them the rest of the way.

back screws( looking from the front facing rear)

front screw(same position)

- after that its disconnecting the next two harnesses. one white connector one yellow. the one that is yellow is a pain, i think its best to disconnect the bolt that holds it to the roof and remove it from its holder with some pliers.

- after thats all said and done reconnect the new motor, id test it out before putting much back together, the motor seems to work faster while the car is running, although i recommened at least bolting the motor on first because it will move around once the switch is hit. also make sure before bolting it on that it is in the full closed position. hit the switches tilt down and closed so the motor is in the right position, maybe you dont have to, but i wouldnt wanna mess it up if i do.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

**also if you're getting a motor or two from the pull it, get some spare parts like the visor attachment and other things you may break.

the other thing i did was take apart my old motor. wasnt too hard, disconnected the motor from the gear assembly then took about 8ish screws from the case and pried it with a flathead. found a stripped plastic gear. i didnt fully look but if you cant find a fifth gen motor and your gears are bad you may be able to take one from a fourth gen or other year, just compare, they have different wiring but same look to the motor and case, same part number too on the motor assembly on them.

gears ( middle one went bad)

bad gear

diff angle

Hopefully this helps someone. its not as hard as it would seem but removing everything to get to the motor is half the job.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 11:23 PM
Guru

How did you remove the trim around the sunroof opening? I can't remove the headliner the trim is clipping it I need to recalibrate the sunroof switch & motor. It's out of synch.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 12:15 AM
Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to jaydog82

you just pull it from the sun roof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1988 AllTrac 3sgte
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 01:35 AM
Guru

QUOTE (jaydog82 @ Jul 16 2009, 12:15 AM)
Quote:
you just pull it from the sun roof[/B]

I'm referring to the trim outlining or covering the rim of the sunroof.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Old Timer

yup, just pry it from the edge and pull it off

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1988 AllTrac 3sgte
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Guru

Thanks for confirming
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Guru

Send a message via AIM to celicadude93

i like the detailed instructions and liked how u added the pics. just my opinion but i think this could be a possible sticky. anyone agree?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Old Timer

maybe in the repair section.

1988 AllTrac 3sgte

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page