Celica vs MR2 - Toyota Celica Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 04:33 AM
Guru

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)

A friend of mine was saying that a 2nd gen MR2 blows away the 5th gen (or any gen) celica on handling due to the mr2's weight distribution and rear engine placement. But I would have thought that because the celica was built on the platform of a rally car (or at least the overall shape/weight), that it might be able to at least be comparable to the mr2 - maybe with a decent spare of springs and shocks? does anyone know or have any thoughts on that?

i've never been stranded by a car so many times before... its a good thing celicas are so sexy. cardomain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 05:21 AM
Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to TRDcici Send a message via MSN to TRDcici Send a message via Yahoo to TRDcici

ehh.. i hear the mr2 tends to oversteer.. or was it understeer.. ill have to say depending on the situation .. the mr2 ive seen people use on tracks and such and i guess it was built to be sportier/lighter then the celica.. lol but on a rally the celica would totally own just cause thats what it was built for so i dunno .. i think alltrac/gt4 ftw.

#3 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Guru

I would say the MR2 Turbo would probably beat the 5th gen Turbo in a straight line, due to the weight difference/distribution. But the Celica would kill in the curves or in a rally setting, because of the 4wd. The MR2 would oversteer because of the Rwd, and because it is ass heavy (with the engine).

Czech out My Cardomain to be AMAZED!!!!!! lol
#4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 01:09 PM
Guru

depends which celica and who is driving the mr2. a lot of mr2 crashed because of the oversteer on the car that a lot of people weren't used to or underestimated. but i'd trade my celi for an mr2 any day.

#5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 01:49 PM
Guru

Th 91 turbo MR2 would beat the Turbo Celica all or half trac in every way on paper. However it's a very difficult car to drive on the limit, much like an older 911, so on a road course it would take a very good driver to get the most out of it where as any idiot can drive a Celica to the limit.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Guru

Send a message via AIM to ajm563

The MR2 and celica are interesting to compare, because they are two platforms designed for different things, using the same engines and transmissions.
The MR2 is designed for more sporty driving. Although there is big todo about the whole "snap oversteer" thing, not only was that corrected for later models, it also shows the handling geometry is generally better, though less forgiving.
The rally v. street comparison is probably the best one. The MR2 wins in terms of weight and road manner, the celica wins for AWD. If I had to choose one for the sake of driving, it'd be the MR2. But since the Celica has a back seat and a useful trunk, having to choose between an Alltrac and an MR2 Turbo would be very difficult, assuming price and condition are equal.

2007 Subaru WRX Wagon, 300whp
1991 Toyota Celica in my parents' garage, not running
#7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to spike90gt-s

i traded my celica in on a 93 mr2 turbo, and it was the best thing i ever did, the car has more understeer but most ppl wreck them due to the fact they cant drive it, i like the way this handles compared to my old celica...its so much better
this is all just my opinion tho
#8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 03:55 AM
Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to TRDcici Send a message via MSN to TRDcici Send a message via Yahoo to TRDcici

it was a gt-s that you traded in right?. cause if you ever been on a dirt course with a gt-four i dunno if youd say that.. lol ive been in both and i definetly like my gtfour.. handles great in all weather conditions.. with the right tires. lol. and the 4 seater and big hatch FTW

#9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 05:31 PM
Guru

Send a message via AIM to ajm563

QUOTE (spike90gt-s @ Nov 5 2006, 04:43 PM)
Quote:
i traded my celica in on a 93 mr2 turbo, and it was the best thing i ever did, the car has more understeer but most ppl wreck them due to the fact they cant drive it, i like the way this handles compared to my old celica...its so much better
this is all just my opinion tho[/B]
I find that understeer comment interesting...the reason people "couldn't handle" SW20 MR2 turbos was because they oversteered, something very few modestly priced (<40k) cars do.

2007 Subaru WRX Wagon, 300whp
1991 Toyota Celica in my parents' garage, not running
#10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 11:31 PM
Guru

QUOTE (ajm563 @ Nov 7 2006, 01:31 PM)
Quote:
QUOTE (spike90gt-s @ Nov 5 2006, 04:43 PM)
Quote:
this is all just my opinion tho[/B]
I find that understeer comment interesting...the reason people "couldn't handle" SW20 MR2 turbos was because they oversteered, something very few modestly priced (<40k) cars do.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Unfortunately their "fix" for the 92+'s was to make the car more prone to understeer, which although safer, is extremely lame, you can put a big honkin sway bar on the rear to get it to snap oversteer just like the earlier ones if you like. I have a 93 GTS and a friend of mine has a 91 MR2 turbo, both with factory suspension. I've driven both of them on a track and and hour in the MR2 is like 5 in the Celica at around the same speeds, give or take a few seconds a lap. All it takes in the MR2 to lose it is to let off the gas in a corner, where as in the Celica, letting off in a corner is where the fun is at, lift off oversteer is so easy to control with the longer wheel base and FWD. Even if I make a big mistake and dip a wheel into the grass it's no problem at all, the MR2 on the other hand is not recoverable from a mistake like that. Car reviewers called this a defect but it's no more a defect than a Formula 1 car's inability to be driven like a drift car, it was built to drive fast clean lines, not be a rally car.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page