User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 09:55 AM
Old Timer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to trumanpriest
(Thread Starter)

Ok I have read several forums on this topic; concearning the 0-60 time for the celica is listed at 10.5 seconds and most people think that it sounds right. I think that yeah it is probably close but a little high- I think a good legitimate driver who knows how to shift (higher revs not neccesarily meaning a better time to shift, don't redline every time to get the best time, etc...) could shave it to just below ten. But my problem is that according to the list http://web.missouri.edu/~apcb20/times.html A pontiac sunfire stock could keep up with an all-trac. I don't own an alltrac so I don't know but it seems to me that I have on several occasions kept neck and neck with a sunfire even the new ones on the occasional light to light race. They have a 2.4 that looks like it was stolen from the 5sfe. Could they really keep up with an alltrac?

Trumanpriest - 1990 ST185 | 2010 Tacoma 2.7 SR5 | 2009 Yaris Sedan

My Cardomain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 10:41 AM
Guru

Send a message via AIM to beautydies

i would think the alltrac would beat the sunfire..i cant see the sunfire coming with 200hp

unless the sunfire is rather light....then you could see a difference
#3 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 10:48 AM
Guru

Send a message via AIM to celi_fan

car and driver listed the new '90 celica gts as 9.5 0-60 time.

article

1992 Celica GT
#4 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 11:11 AM
Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to trumanpriest
(Thread Starter)

I can't imagine it either however the 0-60 is;
Sunfire 7.9
AllTrac 7.5

I think the numbers are hosed. I raced a friend of mine with an 02 sunfire manual and we were neck and neck the whole time. I couldn't beat him but he couldn't beat me. All-Trac should destroy it.

sunfire is a 2.4 at 135 or 140 and Same lbs/ft torque as a gt- or gts.
if anyone has ever looked at the motor in them it looks almost the same as a 5sfe. little bit more clean since it is newer- not so many wires.....

I'm not trying to make this thread about the sunfire though- cavalier and dodge neon are also both listed to destroy fifth gens and keep up with the alltrac.

Trumanpriest - 1990 ST185 | 2010 Tacoma 2.7 SR5 | 2009 Yaris Sedan

My Cardomain
#5 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 01:44 AM

I have a 92 Celica GT (5SFE) with 135 hp, ~145 ft-lbs.....and if someone thinks that it takes 9.5 seconds to get to 60.....they need to go out there and give it a try themselves, because it does NOT take that long. My friend has a 96 Impala SS, and we are dead even until about 40 (in which case, the mighty LT1 takes me like an anime Japanese school girl)....so this stuff about the Celica's being slow...it's all bogus. What you have is a low rpm, low torque muscle machine that gets decent gas mileage, is very very reliable, and can whip a lot of cars from redlight to redlight. This car is not designed to go too far over 125 mph because of the way the transmission and engine is setup. If you want a cheap car that can do a 7-8 second 0-60 time for the cost of a Celica, get an Integra...or if you're lucky to find one, get an NX2000 which is a 6-7 second 0-60 car. I know exactly what I am telling you here, I have owned them both at some point or another (not the Integra...the NX2000 I mean). Appreciate the Celica for what it is, and very awesome looking, very dependable, very very comfortable vehicle. And I'm right, so don't argue with me about it (haha, just kidding you can argue if you want.)

Nick

When in doubt...pull out

1992 Celica GT 5sFE
1993 Nissan NX2000 (gas fire, I'll miss her)
2000 Nissan Frontier XE KA24DE
!NEW! 2001 Nissan Frontier SE KC 4x4
#6 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 02:00 AM
Guru

Send a message via AIM to wexpac Send a message via MSN to wexpac

wow I thought the altlrac was fast, guess it really isnt.... gonna loveeee my 300zx

// 91 CELICA GT coupe - OBX TypeR Muffler - Custom Exhaust Piping - CAI w/ K&N Filter - JDM Corners - 5% Limo tints - Falken Tires - Custom Painted RED Calipers - 2 KICKER 12" COMPVR's - JVC KD-LH810 Deck - aftermarket sprks <~> Not Installed: Eibach Sportline Springs <~> Upcoming: KYB Front and Rear Struts
#7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 04:15 AM
Guru

rate for racing:
An St is close to a GT, ST/GT are owned by an Alltrac, an Alltrac by a GT-4, a GT-4 by a Swapped GT.

An Alltrac is (USDM) while the GT-4 is JDM. For this reason the GT-4 gets a better mapping. Most swapped Celis use JDM engines, but are about 700 lbs lighter

The Celica was never ment to be a sports car, it was made to be a economical compact. AllTrac fit the bill for Rally, MR2 fit the bill for sports compact and Supra is the sports car.

Tommy
#8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 04:58 PM
Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to chickenmoo04

the whole thing with cavaliers and neons beating 5th gen celicas is not true. i beat a '02 neon and a '94 neon. as for the cavalier, i think i wouldn't beat it. just to let you know, my '92 celica GT is all stock.

if i had $1 for everytime i said i had $1, thats $2 to spend on my car!
#9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Old Timer

in terms of a sunfire gt catching an all trac if its a stock all trac i could see it. the all tracs had 200hp but awd made for a heavy car. i have an 01 r/t neon, rated at 150hp, its 100% stock and i had it running 15.8's all day long, and stock all-tracs were supposed to have run mid-high 15's.

now its an easy fix for the all trac, turn up the boost and away you go. and with the comment of a gt with a 3sgte 'owning' an all trac it does if the all trac is stock. fwd + big torque/ power = no traction. where big power on an awd or rwd car youll still have grip, power to weight ratios means nothing if your suspension/ drivetrain cant put the power down. that why pro rwd sport compacts are deep into the 6's and the pro fwd sport compacts are just into the 7's.
#10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 10:01 AM
Guru

I was referring to all cars being stock. The GT swap would also be considered a stock 3sgte. The Alltrac/GT4 would own the dig on most cases, but the Swap would make up the diference on the ground.

Tommy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page