Convertible top pump oil ? - Toyota Celica Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)

Hi guys, newbie in the house. Just bought an '89 GT Convertible from a friend who has has it for 19 years. Well maintained, but Wisconsin rusty - just a summertime DD.

My question: top will go down and will go up with some help. seems like the pump is working. When i look at the oil reservoir, seems very low although i did not see a "Full" mark. Looking for type of oil, how full, will operation bleed out any air ?

THANKS for any advice given. Chris, Madison WI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 08:21 PM

QUOTE (chrisstopher @ May 10 2009, 10:03 AM)
Quote:
Hi guys, newbie in the house. Just bought an '89 GT Convertible from a friend who has has it for 19 years. Well maintained, but Wisconsin rusty - just a summertime DD.

My question: top will go down and will go up with some help. seems like the pump is working. When i look at the oil reservoir, seems very low although i did not see a "Full" mark. Looking for type of oil, how full, will operation bleed out any air ?

THANKS for any advice given. Chris, Madison WI[/B]
My manual for my 87 cont says use 10wt non-detergent motor oil. Thats what I used and it seems to work fine.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 10:26 AM

Hi Chris,
I'm from around the same are and I was wondering if you found a way to fix this problem. I have an '87 convertible that has the same problem and I want to figure out how to fix it. Any information you have would be helpful.
Thanks,
Sam
#4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Guru

Well, I have a 93 Celica convertible. Not the same generation, just the next one newer.

On mine at least, it also says to use 10W motor oil (but no mention requiring it to be a non-detergent oil).

Also, on my pump, on one end is the motor, in the middle is the pump, and on the other end is a somewhat clear, cylindrical housing that you can actually see the oil level in. At the end of that housing is the oil level marks (one for when the top is up, the other for when the top is down). You should be somewhere between those two marks.

Just for reference, there is a 4th Gen Celica convertible in the salvage yard near me. Some parts have been removed, but I don't know to what extent. I see the top mechanism is broken apart, unfortunately. But if you think you need a new pump and/or lift cylinders for your own, this might be an option.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:08 PM

QUOTE (93celicaconv @ Jul 21 2010, 01:02 PM)
Quote:
Well, I have a 93 Celica convertible. Not the same generation, just the next one newer.

On mine at least, it also says to use 10W motor oil (but no mention requiring it to be a non-detergent oil).

Also, on my pump, on one end is the motor, in the middle is the pump, and on the other end is a somewhat clear, cylindrical housing that you can actually see the oil level in. At the end of that housing is the oil level marks (one for when the top is up, the other for when the top is down). You should be somewhere between those two marks.

Just for reference, there is a 4th Gen Celica convertible in the salvage yard near me. Some parts have been removed, but I don't know to what extent. I see the top mechanism is broken apart, unfortunately. But if you think you need a new pump and/or lift cylinders for your own, this might be an option.[/B]

Where is this salvage yard at? I live in Southeastern Wisconsin and I'm thinking I might want to check this car out for various parts I need for mine. Do you know if it has a front passenger turn signal assembly as well as that sideplate in good condition? Also, what color is the car?
Thanks
#6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Guru

I really didn't check it out all that close for what it all has in detail. I know a majority of the dash and the electrical components in and around the dash are gone, but the instrument cluster was still with the car (loose, in the front seat, I noticed that because I liked the full instrumentation of the 4th Gen, the 5th Gen like I have took out the volt meter and oil pressure gauges). I know the headlights were all intact, so there wasn't a front end collision that brought it to the salvage yard, but I can't tell you if the directionals are still there. IIRC, the body color is black.

The salvage yard is Gibson Iron Metal & Auto Inc., located in Neenah, WI. They are generally a "U-Pull-It" kind of place, and they get most of their revenue (I think) from recycling metal. I know they will pull engines and transmissions for someone, but I don't think they will go out to get smaller parts and then ship them at all. Could be wrong, but they don't seem to operate that way. Their phone number is 920-722-6721. Their address is 139 S. Fieldcrest Drive.
#7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 02:18 PM

This thread petered out a year ago before I see any answer to the question of bleeding. I just put a used pump in an '89 and I can see it move some oil through the lines because they are clear, but it doesn't raise or lower the top. The passengers side piston has a small weep. I don't believe it alone can represent enough loss of pressue and fluid to entirely prevent the thing from working, although maybe it could a symptom that the piston is bypassing oil, I assume from the plumbing that it is pump up and down, so if the piston were shot as between its internal compartments this could lead to the complete lack of action despite apparently pumping fluid.

Of course i'm early in diagnosis here, and I haven't checked the pressure output from the pump.

I've got the piston coming from the same unit in the junkyard I got the pump off of, but just trying to find out if I am maybe not bleeding correctly. Also, confused by the valve on top of the pump body. It seems to maybe be a bypass to allow the top to be raised and lowered by hand if the pump is gone, or . . .

Any comments with anyone who has experience dealing with convertible top hydraulics much appreciated.

brian
#8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2011, 12:28 AM

i had seen on google folks advising to use DEX/MERC II Tranny oil or Brake Fluid... but brake fluid oil is very abrasive to paint

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page