Toyota Celica Forum banner

Oil consumption of 00 1zz

3K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  Foxtherouge 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I know that's a common question, I bought a Celica GT 2000 2 months ago, only to discover later that this car has a chronic oil consumption issue. No leak, no CEL, it should be the piston rings.

I drive 100 miles a day for commuting, and have to add around a quart every weekend. I ended up using 5w20 instead of 5w30 and it surprisingly reduced the oil consumption by half.

For those who had the same issue: can I keep on driving like that? I've put 4500 miles in the car and except that, and a vibrating idle, the car just does the job, runs fine.

If I keep monitoring the oil level, will it continue to run fine or should I expect a catastrophic failure soon?

I'm in Michigan so I don't have to worry about the emissions, but I'm going to Oregon in January, any issue with the emissions out there?

Thanks for your help!

See less See more
#2 ·
Jum, Welcome to the forum.

There are many threads on this subject. I would suggest you do a search on oil consumption.

Long story short is, you have the 1ZZ motor with oil consumption issues due to the piston only having 2 drain holes on each side of the piston. There are a couple of things that you can try that should help slow the consumption down. 1) change your PCV valve regularly 2) You can try oil treatments that will help clear the build up and give your pistons a better ability to drain oil versus burning it off. The two that are mentioned are Seafom and Marvel Oil.

If you check my profile and look at posts I've commented to that is one I commonly reply to.

Last, you will have to monitor consumption until you replace pistons.

Good luck!

#3 ·
Thank you, I understand most of the people would ask the same question...
I was just wondering if I should just sell it or move cross country with it, as this would require roughly 1 gallon of oil. I got the car pretty cheap, and rust free, which is a miracle in Michigan. Got offered a set of winter tires. I will try to install a roof rack for my tires, 911 style. Car was a good deal until in noticed the oil drain...

How much does a piston change cost with a mechanic? I don't have place for such a long work.

I tried mystery oil without noticing any change, I will go with new pcv valve, I read a post about B12 that sounds promising. 5w20 full synthetic seems to work well as well.

Clean car otherwise!

Thanks!

Attachments

#4 ·
The engine won't blow if you keep oil in it, so you could move cross country with it, gallon of oil these days $20 non-synthetic.

If you really like the car keep it. They are fun cars to own. The engines are well built and will last when properly taken care of.

ok, I've heard good things about B-12, with strong cautions if you don't get it right you'll make things worse. Seafoam is an equivalent and more forgiving. There are two methods in which you can flush the oil system. 1st is pour in your oil filler, I think it's an ounce per quart, but double check the directions, drive it 100 miles and drain that oil. 2nd is sucking in in via a vacuum line into the head, I'm less familiar with this, but if you search the threads you'll find instructions on how to do it.

I can't answer the piston cost question, maybe someone else has done it and can put a value to it.

I can tell you that if you drop a rebuilt in the least amount you'll spend is about $2000 if you're lucky.

If the marvel oil hasn't helped try the seafoam and see if it helps. It's easy to change oil.

#9 ·
Ok I gave up on the idea of messing with chemicals. Fresh oil full synthetic, new PCV valve, the engine is now smoother. I will see what happen with the oil consumption at the end of the week.

I have other small technical issues, if necessary I can create another topic but here they are:
-My hatch struts are dead, the hatch doesn't stay opened. The struts are OEM tokico. The bolts are seized, I can't take them off. The head of the strut that connects to the ball on Tokico parts is non standard: there's no spring on it, it seems it was hard pressed on the ball, so I cant take it off to use a socket. Anybody encountered this issue?
-I had an alignment at belle tire but had to go back because the car was still pulling left. It still is after second visit, with summer and winter tires. Is there any other element that can be at fault or should I complain again?
-What's the best way to get an aux line on the original stereo? digital cassete is not working because of the autoreverse. Radio transmitters are not great quality. I found on internet lines that can be connected to the the cd changer of Toyota oem stereo. Some sites say compatible with 03-05 celica, some with 00-05 celica. Anybody tried this?
Thanks!

#10 ·
Ok, in reverse order.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oa4GV_uXGp4
This works plug n play. The best way, in my opinion, is to just buy another radio. But this is a great way to keep your stock.

Jack up one side and spin the front tire. Look for bulges. Then put your hands on the 3 o clock and 9 oclock positions and shake. Then the same at 12 and 6. If it moves it could be trailing arm or cv axel. Do the same for the other side. This is something your alignment shop should have looked for the first time. They are supposed to look for worn parts before doing an alignment.

Have you tired heating the bolt? I have heard most people just cut the bolt as most new struts come with a new one anyway.

Anything else? I am here to help.

#11 ·
So I don't have any bulge on tires, anyway the pull is here with 2 different sets of tires.
I had the car inspected by my mechanic before and they checked for worn parts before the alignment and told me everything was ok... Now I'm considering they did not do it properly, they have very bad reviews over internet. i'll go for a third time I guess.

For the nut I will try heat, but a heat gun won't attack the paint? if not next step I will cut the head with a saw. I was considering a disk cutter but the vibration can shatter the glass

While I'm at it, did anybody try those roof bars:

the compatibility is not properly listed on amazon, but on ebay the same product is said compatible. Anyway they list this product as universal and the system doesn't seem so different to thule or Yakima parts.

#12 ·
Those clip into the doorframe. Unfortunally, our window doesnt have a frame. It closes into the body of the car.

You arent going to make it red hot, it wont hurt the paint. Have you tried lubricants or hitting it loose at all?

If there are no bulges and nothing moves then theh did not do a proper alignment. Another thing to check, which I doubt is the cause, is balance. The wheels can spin out of balance.

Switch your front tires to the opposite side. If you still pull to the left its not the wheels/tires. If it pulls to the right, something is wrong with the wheel or tire.

#13 ·
OK I will look for other roof bars, maybe the universal ones that use a strap

For the alignment they only touched the toe of the right wheel that was slightly out of spec, to put it in spec but not centered. The left one is barely in spec but they did not touch it. Both are almost out of spec, I think that is the cause, but they don't want to look at it

Another of these little issues on a 15 years old car: the glove box would fall when opened. It seems the two pins on the side are gone. Do you know the reference of it? there are several available on Ebay

Thanks

#15 ·
Great, thanks for the pictures. That is it, the part number is 55531-20170

I actually found the records from the alignment. Is this something that can cause a pull? It's present with the used snow tires someone gave me, and also with the all season tires I had on the original rims I put new, though it was a little less.

I tend to be very frustrated with these issues. Funny thing, this is actually my 5th car in 1 year I've been in the US. Nothing but problems, I wanted to go with a reliable car, and the oil consumption disappointed me quite a bit...
But with all these little fixes i'll end up with a pretty decent car. I can't wait to drive it in the mountains, Michigan tends to be flat and straight.

Attachments

#17 ·
Do you have the radio in the video? Thats the radio I had when I got mine. This video is for 7th gens.

I just helped a friend move to Michigan. Drove all the way from Washington and I know exactly how flat it is.

It doesnt look like they did much of anything. Have them test drive the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.