Never stops shaking? - Toyota Celica Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Never stops shaking?

*NOTE* This is a pretty long post cause I feel context would help describe the situation.

Hello everyone.

So I have my 2000 Celica GT-S, it's mostly a daily driver, and only 166000km on it (I'm Canadian.. :O). I'm the third owner of the car. We had it inspected before we bought it, and it was perfectly fine at the time.

Anyway, so about a month or two after I became owner and started driving regularly the Check Engine Light came on. Not having a code reader, and minimal mechanical experience, I brought it to my mechanic to check out. He said the engine was misfiring, and just to watch it or a while.

I got the car back, and for about a week later, it came on again (at the time, I never really pushed the engine very hard, 3500 RPM at most.) He said the problem was the same, and that we'll start by replace the spark plugs. He finished, I took it for a drive, and things were good for a while.

A month later, the head gasket went, and we had to replace it. About a month after replacing, I could still feel the car shaking a lot while I was idling. Compression was still low in Cylinder 2 (compression in all cylinders was 175 130 175 175), so I brought it back in, and he lubricated it.

This is the weird part. For about 2 months, it was perfectly fine. After those 2 months, the light came on again, compression was still low. Sick of not having my car so often, I just figured I'd live with the light for now. After about a week and a half to 2 weeks, it turned itself off. It didn't shake at idle, no chattering from the engine, nothing. It ran smoothly, and quietly, and it stayed like this until today (about a month).

Today, I parked, and stayed parked for a good 15-20 minutes. I started my engine to move my car so I didn't block traffic or get ticketed, and the light came on again. I immediately felt the car shaking, and the engine was chattering again (A/C was off, I know that there's a problem with it being on that contributes to the engine chattering.) I let the engine stay running, then I drove for a bit. At every stop light, the shaking lessened it seemed. I would occasionally turn the A/C on, then off again when the cabin was cold, and the engine would stop chattering. The chatter would come back for a bit (no more than a minute) then disappear again.

Would anyone know what's happening? I don't know much about mechanics aside from the very basics, and I'm sort of concerned and wondering..

Thanks!
-Rio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 01:05 AM
Guru

that right there is the difference between mechanics and technicians.

he shouldn't have replaced sparkplugs on a whim and and hoped it would get better. he should've inspected the plugs and been able to make a determination to why they were causing your misfire. and since your head gasket blew so quicly after the plugs, it was most likely what was causing your plugs to foul, and he shouldve recognized they were getting coolant fouled.

as for the compression, all the cylinders are good except for cyl. 2 which you already know. in terms for "lubricating it" and that bumping up your compression, all he did was was do a wet compression test (aka put oil in through the plug hole to coat the compression rings). it in no way helped your engine at all, just gave you a false hope that it was going to be fine.

i dont know if you have some kind of bureau of automotive repair up there to report shops too, but if you do, this is definitely the shop to report.

I would check and inspect all fluid, inspect wiring, make sure the engine is getting proper spark, fuel and air, but really with your compression number so low on cyl 2 its likely your just going to have the check engine light keep coming on because its going to keep seeing a variance in the crank sensor speed when it reads cyl 2.

id also go get a cheapo code reader online or from harbor freight just so you can pull the codes yourself

hopefully ive been helpfull and keep us updated
#3 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 08:14 AM
Guru

Garage

Good stuff there Jason. If your local parts store will scan it (read the engine code) for you for free do that and let us know what it is. Sounds like it should have a P0302, cylinder #2 misfire. And like Jason said keep us updated.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 03:56 PM

My first celica had a cylinder 2 misfire also. I put some seafoam in the gas tank to clean some of the carbon build up out of my engine and the code stayed off for awhile until i was able to sell it. But if you want to fix it perminately google the code. Like stellar said, its prolly P0302 cylinder 2 misfire. Your car senses the low compression in #2 occasionally and misfires making the shake. And im sure thats when the code will be thrown. What youll have to do is either replace the #2 spark plug boot, or replace the entire spark plug harness with the boots. Ive read on other websites that people have done the whole harness swap and its fixed it, and make sure you keep up on fluids! FYI anything electrical like this on a vehicle is going to be quite pricey, but if your planning on keeping the vehicle for awhile might as well make her run good. Good luck
#5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 11:35 AM

(Thread Starter)

So quick update:

Yesterday when I started the car I noticed the light was off again. When I got out of class and started it again, the light came back on and I noticed it was a lot quieter than usual. I parked again, gave the engine a bit to cool down, then checked the oil. some of it was black, the rest looked regular. (I got an oil change no more than 3000km ago.)

I let the car sit for about another 2 hours, then went off again and the engine was back to being its usual volume, and stayed for the rest of the day. It didn't shake, but there was a little bit of chatter once in a while.

Also, what do you guys think the low compression in cylinder 2 could be caused by?

Thanks
-Rio
#6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Guru

low compression could be caused by worn piston rings, damaged pistons, leaking/burned valves, internal wear in the cylinder

you should do a cylinder leakdown test
#7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Guru

Garage

Also, IF #2 coil isn't firing properly the unburned fuel can wash down the cylinder walls causing low compression. Just for fun I would swap #2 coil with #1 and see if the code changes to P0301!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page