Toyota Celica Forum banner

91 Celica ST, 1.6 starter removal

14K views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  codestar7 
#1 ·
Would like to give instructions on this item but I have to ask instruction instead. I have searched the forums here and haven't be able to find where any one has removed the starter motor from the 1.6 engine in a 1990 to 1993 Celica. Mine has eaten it big time, I can fix it I'm sure but I can't seem to find it...sounds funny but it's strange. I can find where it looks like it would have been installed , (front of engine, right side of the exhaust manifold) but there's no starter there. I'm assuming that would be where it would have been on an inline mount. Say a pick up. But as we know a Celica is a transverse mount. Can anyone point me to a thread or article on the removal of the starter in a 1.6 Celica? Even my Haynes Manual shows the starter in the front. Thanks Chris:eek:

#2 ·
1.6 Starter

OK;
I'll just talk to myself then. Found the little she devil snugged on the fire wall side of the engine under the air box. This most certainly is the Toyota block for all applications. No wonder those guys make money. Maybe I'll get a couple of pics to step someone else through this procedure.

#3 ·
Solution

Remove the negative battery cable from the battery, just move it off and hook it down on the plastic side of the battery.

The starter in the 1990 to 1993 Celica 1.6 ST is located behind the engine between the firewall and the engine under the intake manifold and attached to the bell housing.

Remove the air box;

See the shiny clamp? That is the engine side of the heater hose that connects to the heater control valve at the firewall. The drivers side starter bolt is right under that connection and back about an inch. You can feel it but it's hard to see. Use a 1/2 inch breaker bar and a 14 mm socket to pop it loose. Don't remove it yet.

The other bolt can be loosened with a standard long 1/2 inch drive extension and a breaker bar. Assemble the breaker bar extension and the 14mm socket. Lower them down the passenger side of the engine compartment behind the engine under the intake manifold, under the heater hose lean on the fender and feel your way to put the socket over the bolt then use an extension on the breaker bar. With a couple of good 1/8th turns the bolt will be free. Replace the breaker bar with a ratchet and take the bolt out it will turn with your fingers after a few turns.

Now remove the bolt from the drivers side and gently lay the starter on the heater hose that stretches from the fire wall. The relay wire and the battery cable are still attached to the starter. The relay contact takes a small flat head screw driver to lift the plastic center indent then it just comes right off. see it here;

This is what your old starter will look like;

Note all the corrosion at the battery contact post, this was probably my problem. I put in a new one any way...O'Reily auto Parts has them for about 70 bucks............Have fun........Chris

The site decided not to post all my pictures so I'll try to post them over at my Customer Panel...Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.