Coolant bubbling but car doesn't seem to overheat on temp guage? - Toyota Celica Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
kjr
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default

Hi guys,

I bought a 1991 Toyota Celica yesterday and it is running nicely except for one problem that started today, when you turn the engine off and exit the car you can hear the coolant bubbling, the car isn't overheating (well the temp guage works, and does go up but never goes more than half way) but it still bubbles? I assume this isn't normal...can anyone suggest anything I can check? it is frustrating!!!!
kjr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
kjr
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default

Problem solved, it lacked coolant, so started to bubble..
kjr is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
kjr
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default

Ok so I thought the problem had been fixed with a coolant change, it hadn't been, it started again, I think it may be the thermostat perhaps? the car is not overheating at all but when you turn the engine off you hear the coolant bubbling inside, could it be anything else? what would be the easiest thing to check/change first?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
kjr is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

Air in the system? Try bleeding it real good.
Kastigir is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Angry

QUOTE (Kastigir @ Jun 18 2008, 12:05 PM)
Quote:
Air in the system? Try bleeding it real good.[/B]
oh no , had same problem Warped Head ,got a new one no more bubbles, if your car overheated bad like blew a hose and whoever drove it to the next exit ,WaRpEd head will happen to aluminum matched against iron block, do a cylinder leakdown test and it will give all your answers
badalex59 is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
kjr
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default

QUOTE (djnlvnv @ Jun 19 2008, 10:47 AM)
Quote:
QUOTE (Kastigir @ Jun 18 2008, 12:05 PM)
Quote:
Air in the system? Try bleeding it real good.[/B]
oh no , had same problem Warped Head ,got a new one no more bubbles, if your car overheated bad like blew a hose and whoever drove it to the next exit ,WaRpEd head will happen to aluminum matched against iron block, do a cylinder leakdown test and it will give all your answers
[/B][/QUOTE]


Car isn't overheating, it runs perfectly fine other than the radiator bubbling, I drive 45ks to work per day so I would be able to tell if it was overheating, it doesn't get any higher than half way (it stays just under that)

Anyway I took it to a mechanic today he changed the radiator cap (brand new one mind u but he says it was the wrong pressure..) and so he has put a new one on and will see what happens next, he says it wasn't pressurising properly so coolant was also coming out the overflow as well as bubbling (or atleast he thinks this is what happened) and as the car shows no signs of actual overheating he is certain that is the cause....its not a cracked head or anything otherwise the car would overheat, especially driving it 45ks to work and 45ks home each day....
kjr is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

QUOTE (kjr @ Jun 19 2008, 01:37 AM)
Quote:
QUOTE (djnlvnv @ Jun 19 2008, 10:47 AM)
Quote:
QUOTE (Kastigir @ Jun 18 2008, 12:05 PM)
Quote:
Air in the system? Try bleeding it real good.[/B]
oh no , had same problem Warped Head ,got a new one no more bubbles, if your car overheated bad like blew a hose and whoever drove it to the next exit ,WaRpEd head will happen to aluminum matched against iron block, do a cylinder leakdown test and it will give all your answers
[/B][/QUOTE]


Car isn't overheating, it runs perfectly fine other than the radiator bubbling, I drive 45ks to work per day so I would be able to tell if it was overheating, it doesn't get any higher than half way (it stays just under that)

Anyway I took it to a mechanic today he changed the radiator cap (brand new one mind u but he says it was the wrong pressure..) and so he has put a new one on and will see what happens next, he says it wasn't pressurising properly so coolant was also coming out the overflow as well as bubbling (or atleast he thinks this is what happened) and as the car shows no signs of actual overheating he is certain that is the cause....its not a cracked head or anything otherwise the car would overheat, especially driving it 45ks to work and 45ks home each day....
[/B][/QUOTE]ok fine after you get bubbles with your new cap then what
badalex59 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 03:12 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default

hey,

I own a 1986 Celica Auto, and mine does exactly the same thing. I never actually thought it was a problem cause its been doing it for so long. I drive 20kms to work everyday and my car won't heat up enough for it to go into overdrive and if I turn the heater on while I'm driving to work the temperature gauge starts to drop back down as if my car is cooling down (which it wouldn't be). Anyway this has started to become a real problem as I'm chewing through so much fuel because my car is revving past 3000k the entire way to work, and It's now winter so I would love to be able to use my heater. So I assume its my thermostat. Anyone able to tell me how to replace it?
nasty_pink_sugar69 is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
kjr
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default

QUOTE (Trista @ Jun 20 2008, 04:12 PM)
Quote:
hey,

I own a 1986 Celica Auto, and mine does exactly the same thing. I never actually thought it was a problem cause its been doing it for so long. I drive 20kms to work everyday and my car won't heat up enough for it to go into overdrive and if I turn the heater on while I'm driving to work the temperature gauge starts to drop back down as if my car is cooling down (which it wouldn't be). Anyway this has started to become a real problem as I'm chewing through so much fuel because my car is revving past 3000k the entire way to work, and It's now winter so I would love to be able to use my heater. So I assume its my thermostat. Anyone able to tell me how to replace it?[/B]

Mine does this too..maybe it is my theromostat..I thought it might've been...
kjr is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
kjr
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default

I took it to another mechanic today to have the CV joint replaced, engine mounts replaced and an oil leak fixed (all under warranty) and I also had the radiator checked out, they couldn't find a leak anywhere and the thermo etc is working fine, they couldn't find anything wrong with it, they think there is air in the radiator (as someone else on here has also suggested) they said it should fix itself, but to keep an eye on it all the same..
kjr is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1