Changing valve cover gasket - Toyota Celica Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

<font color='#000000'>I'm planning on changing my valve cover gasket because it seems to be leaking oil, it will also give me an opportunity to paint the valve cover while it's off. I noticed on the Autozone website while I was looking for a valve cover gasket there was something called spark plug tube seals but they didn't have any. Am I going to get my valve cover off and then realize that I need these tube seals to finish the job? I just want to make sure everything is in order. The celica is the only car I have and I need to make sure I don't mess anything up.</font>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 08:25 AM
Old Timer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to jhull

<font color='#000F22'>hey you will need the valve cover gasket and 4 plug seals u have to take off the spark plug wires loosen the bolts that are there cant remmember how many there are, i think theres just a couple and there are four big ones around where the spark plugs are.... havent seen a 5sfe for a while so im trying to remmember.... clean the old gasket off, apply the new gasket and put it back together dont under tighten the bolts and dont over tighten them u want a nice seal without squeezing the gasket out. once the gasket starts crushing i normally tighten a little more just to be on the safe side. but not much</font>
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 12:22 PM

<font color='#000000'>Ok thanks jhull. You're much more helpful than the pricks at SRO, lol.

Btw, it's a 3sfe not a 5fse. Isn't the 5fse the MR2's engine?</font>

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 12:17 AM
Guru

Send a message via AIM to Celica(XIV) Send a message via Yahoo to Celica(XIV)

<font color='#000000'>yes but not just a mr2 engine. *Spark canals suck. *All you need to losen as Jhull said is the 4 30mm bolts at the top of the spark plug canal. *Make sure when removing the vavue cover u use like a malet or something to knock it off so as not to tear the gasket... and ur replacing it so nver mind. *Future reference fyi. *Use sealant i have toyota seal but ask them and they will tell u what to do. *There are 6 points that require sealing. *4 corners and there the cam gear is. *the little hump. *on teh ... left side facing the front. it simple
I do custom valvue covers.</font>

All the Best, *Ian
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 05:02 AM

<font color='#000000'>Ok let me get this straight what is the name of the sealant I should buy? How should I apply it? And exactly where should I put it? You said 6 places but only mentioned 5.</font>

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 02:12 PM
Guru

Send a message via AIM to Celica(XIV) Send a message via Yahoo to Celica(XIV)

<font color='#000000'>I am not at home so I cant tell u the name of the sealant. *Its black and comes in a toob and ask the guy at teh store and they should tell u what brand. *A shop manual tells u, if u got one use it if not buy one it really comes in handy. *

ok there are 6 points and i did mention all 6. *4 corners and on each side of the cam gear hump. *Now you can put 2 more length wise between the four corners to be safe. *If=ts not tough. *If for some unfortunate reason, gremlins what ahve you it smokes, let it cool down then re seal it. *ANd make sure u let it set for a few hourse to be sure it sealed.</font>

All the Best, *Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page