Automatic to manual swap how hard is it - Toyota Celica Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
(Thread Starter)
Default Automatic to manual swap how hard is it

so i have a 1990 toyota celica gt 2.2l 5sfe that is a manual and im pickin up a donor car that is a 1991 celica 1.6l 4afe that is an auto but the motor is shot. the body on my 90 is dented and dinged up and the 91 is str8. i wanna do the motor and manual swap into the 91 how hard is it to do the swap . and how much time and money do u believe it wood take

Last edited by Beezy_Boss; 04-24-2012 at 11:08 AM. Reason: wrong info placed in so had to fix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Guru

Garage

No the transmissions will not fit, the 1.6L 4AFE used a C52 transmission while the 2.2L 5SFE in your GT uses a S53 (Manual) so you will have to find a 5th or 6th gen Celica with the 5SFE manual to put into your GT. In addition you will need a clutch slave cylinder and the tank for the clutch fluid. Good luck on it man!

4A-FE Inside

#3 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 01:42 PM

(Thread Starter)

i kno the tranny bellhousing of the 1.6l tranny wont match up to the 2.2l engine. wat im asking is how hard hard and wats the cost of making the automatic 1.6l celica into the 2.2l manual swap. i wanna take my 2.2l engine and the manual tranny outta my 90 celica and put it into the 91 celica becuz the body is cleaner and straighter then the body of the 90.

Be3zy_Boss
Reccs2RichesC.C.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to garrisonboobs

then you'll need to transfer over pretty much everything. since you have everything it probably won't cost much.and if you know what do to then if shouldn't take that long. you'll just have to re position a motor mount to fit the 5sfe. then you'll have to get the wiring, ecu, trans, pedals, cut a hole for the clutch cable i think and like mrlieu said the clutch cylinder. cost wise you should be fine. good luck!

Garry 1992 Toyota Celica ST

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page